Tuesday, November 17, 2009

the Fare

pumpkin martini
the Affair bubbles
the Big Day & the Day After

A lot of focus is placed upon "the bird" at Thanksgiving - as it should be. But for those with house guests, the party doesn't end there. What is a host to do the day after? The answer is easy - be prepared - ideally with something other than turkey sandwiches and mashed potato cakes.

But first, let's talk about the bird. That is, the rockstar and it's groupies, otherwise known as the sides. For me, the sides make or break the meal - and they allow the cook an opportunity to add a little creativity to the big meal.

I'm a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but just thinking about the typical baked version with marshmallows on the top makes my teeth hurt. Instead, try roasting sliced sweet potatoes with canola oil, honey, salt, pepper and a light dusting of southwestern or Cajun seasoning. The spice will be nicely balanced by the sweetness of the honey, and as a bonus, you won't need to have any cavities filled post-meal.

Recently, I divulged my love of brussels sprouts, and I'm happy to say I have a new recipe to share. Take washed & trimmed brussels sprouts, cut in half, and add to sautéed onions. Cook on medium high heat until nicely browned, then add apple cider. Cover and braise until tender, then add goat cheese and stir until melted and well distributed. Sooo yummy, and the slightly sweet sauce is guaranteed to benefit any turkey that may have spent a few too many hours in the tanning bed.

Pies are the staple of any Thanksgiving meal, but I prefer to drink my calories. A tasty recipe for a Pumpkin Pie Martini can be found at www.slashfood.com - a perfect ending to any calorie-bomb meal, (and I like to think it helps with digestion).

And then comes the morning after. Chances are, you may still be a little full from the day before, so it's best to keep things on the lighter side. I like to prepare as much as possible in advance, which allows me to sleep in along with my guests. I'll bake a quick bread or two ahead of time, and have those ready to serve sliced, or as muffins. You can never go wrong with fruit (you'll be surprised to see how quickly it's gobbled up), and chicken sausages are a light alternative to pork. For the eggs, Kowalski's has a great recipe for Oven Scrambled Eggs with Roasted Asparagus - much of which can be prepared in advance. Let's face it - this is Minnesota, where Egg Bake is as ubiquitous as jello salad, but this allows you to satisfy the traditionalists as well as the foodies.

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Kiersa Notz, Creative Director, the Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment